Position of the sector in Morocco
Morocco has developed an integrated strategy for the halieutic sector, called "Halieutis". The strategy is comprehensive and aims to upgrade and modernize the various segments of the fishing business. This plan also aims to improve the competitiveness and performance of the sector by 2020. Halieutis strategy is based on reaching three targets:
- The sustainable use of resources and the promotion of responsible fishing practices involving fishermen, who are seen as major players in the business development.
- The development of an efficient and quality fishing.
- Enhancing competitiveness.
Development potential of the sector
The halieutic sector in Morocco witnesses a sustainable growth and intends to develop in the coming years. In fact, thanks to the "Halieutis" strategy, it is estimated to:
- Triple the halieutic added value, to go from 8.3 billion dirhams to 22 billion dirhams in 2020.
- Increase the number of direct jobs created by the fishing and aquaculture industry from 61 650 to 115 000 and that of indirect jobs from 488 500 to 510 200 by 2020.
- reduce the size of the informal business by 50% to bring it down to 15% of the sector’s turnover.
- Increase the value of seafood exports to more than $ 3.1 billion against $ 2.6 billion in 2007.
- Raise the halieutic production volume from 1,035 tons at the present to 1.6 million tons, with a special effort to develop the aquaculture.
Offers to investors
Being aware of the issues facing the fishing industry and the resources potential of its 3500 km long coastline, Morocco has implemented over the period 2008-2012 a 5 billion dirham strategy that aims to make the sector more attractive for investors, and also to:
- Create new agencies and professional associations dedicated to the new strategy.
- Update the regulations governing the sector.
- Implement an appropriate control system to ensure product traceability throughout the production and marketing line.
- Provide appropriate funding means and adopt a comprehensive investment program to develop ports, unloading facilities, aquaculture sites, cold chains, seafood markets and wholesale markets.
Testimonials | Aziz Akhennouch, Minister of Agriculture and Maritime Fishing
|| « Many projects have been launched by the government, and some of which are aiming to structure the sector. These include the generalization of fisheries development plans, enhancing the value of catches, creating competitiveness hubs covering the entire national coastline, and developing aquaculture »
Key figures of the halieutic sector in Morocco
- 3500 km of coastline.
- A turnover of 16.3 billion dirhams.
- 12% of global exports.
- A production of 1,000,000 tons of fish.
- 510,200 direct jobs by 2020.